What is involved in Secure by design
Find out what the related areas are that Secure by design connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Secure by design thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Secure by design journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Secure by design leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Secure by design related domains to cover and 150 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Secure by design, Data-centric security, Undefined behavior, Computer security, Software engineering, Buffer overflow, Web server, Principle of least privilege, Home directory, Security through obscurity, Secure coding, Screen scrape, Machine code, Malicious user, Dog food, Linus’ law, Security by design, Mobile security, Call stack, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Trojan horse, Software design, Intrusion detection system, Computer network, Secure by design, Internet security, Application security, Intrusion prevention system, Format string attack, Information security, Computer crime, Antivirus software, Network security, SQL injection, Operating system shell, C standard library, Multi-factor authentication, User identifier, Denial of service, Computer access control, Best coding practices, Computer virus, Computer worm, Computer code, Multiple Independent Levels of Security, Cyber security standards, Software Security Assurance, Security-focused operating system, Cryptographic hash function, Secure by default:
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Secure by design management and find the essential reading for Secure by design researchers.
– In a project to restructure Secure by design outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– To what extent does management recognize Secure by design as a tool to increase the results?
– What are current Secure by design Paradigms?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Focus on Data-centric security management and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Data-centric security is getting what it needs.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Secure by design? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do we monitor the Secure by design decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– What are the long-term Secure by design goals?
Undefined behavior Critical Criteria:
Meet over Undefined behavior planning and oversee implementation of Undefined behavior.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Secure by design?
– Is there any existing Secure by design governance structure?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Computer security projects and oversee Computer security management by competencies.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Secure by design agendas for the next 3 years?
– Can we do Secure by design without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the business goals Secure by design is aiming to achieve?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Software engineering governance and adjust implementation of Software engineering.
– Does Secure by design include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Secure by design in a volatile global economy?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Have all basic functions of Secure by design been defined?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Buffer overflow Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Buffer overflow goals and drive action.
– How do we know that any Secure by design analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Which Secure by design goals are the most important?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Analyze Web server management and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How likely is the current Secure by design plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Why is Secure by design important for you now?
– What threat is Secure by design addressing?
Principle of least privilege Critical Criteria:
Grade Principle of least privilege tactics and attract Principle of least privilege skills.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Secure by design delivery for example is new software needed?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Secure by design?
– How much does Secure by design help?
Home directory Critical Criteria:
Sort Home directory governance and assess and formulate effective operational and Home directory strategies.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Secure by design experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Think about the functions involved in your Secure by design project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Secure by design products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Security through obscurity Critical Criteria:
Merge Security through obscurity tasks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Security through obscurity projects.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Secure by design project?
– How will you know that the Secure by design project has been successful?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Judge Secure coding issues and get out your magnifying glass.
– Think about the people you identified for your Secure by design project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Secure by design activities?
– Is Secure by design Required?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Rank Screen scrape issues and overcome Screen scrape skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the usability implications of Secure by design actions?
– What are our Secure by design Processes?
Machine code Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Machine code risks and budget for Machine code challenges.
– In the case of a Secure by design project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Secure by design project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Secure by design project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Secure by design process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Secure by design process available?
– How do we Identify specific Secure by design investment and emerging trends?
Malicious user Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Malicious user planning and raise human resource and employment practices for Malicious user.
– Is there an account-lockout mechanism that blocks a maliCIOus user from obtaining access to an account by multiple password retries or brute force?
– When authenticating over the internet, is the application designed to prevent maliCIOus users from trying to determine existing user accounts?
– Which customers cant participate in our Secure by design domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Secure by design services/products?
– Is Secure by design dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Dog food Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Dog food tasks and catalog Dog food activities.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Secure by design into the services that we provide?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Secure by design objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do we have past Secure by design Successes?
Linus’ law Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Linus’ law outcomes and stake your claim.
– What are our needs in relation to Secure by design skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Are we Assessing Secure by design and Risk?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Map Security by design projects and work towards be a leading Security by design expert.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Secure by design project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Secure by design project lifecycle?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Secure by design move?
– Are there recognized Secure by design problems?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Mobile security risks and intervene in Mobile security processes and leadership.
– Will Secure by design have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is the Secure by design organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Do we all define Secure by design in the same way?
Call stack Critical Criteria:
Gauge Call stack goals and do something to it.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Secure by design goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What vendors make products that address the Secure by design needs?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Logic bomb quality and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Logic bomb is getting what it needs.
– Think of your Secure by design project. what are the main functions?
– What are internal and external Secure by design relations?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Nurse Mobile secure gateway tactics and probe Mobile secure gateway strategic alliances.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Secure by design is underway?
– How do we go about Comparing Secure by design approaches/solutions?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Trojan horse planning and summarize a clear Trojan horse focus.
– How do we Improve Secure by design service perception, and satisfaction?
Software design Critical Criteria:
Read up on Software design issues and develop and take control of the Software design initiative.
– What are the key elements of your Secure by design performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Confer re Intrusion detection system quality and report on the economics of relationships managing Intrusion detection system and constraints.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– How do we measure improved Secure by design service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Secure by design Management?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Recall Computer network failures and perfect Computer network conflict management.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Secure by design processes?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Audit Secure by design planning and devote time assessing Secure by design and its risk.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Secure by design models, tools and techniques are necessary?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Rank Internet security results and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Internet security decisions.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Secure by design opportunities costing us money?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Derive from Application security leadership and explain and analyze the challenges of Application security.
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Intrusion prevention system risks and oversee Intrusion prevention system requirements.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– Can we add value to the current Secure by design decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– Who will provide the final approval of Secure by design deliverables?
Format string attack Critical Criteria:
Own Format string attack management and remodel and develop an effective Format string attack strategy.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Secure by design forward?
– How to Secure Secure by design?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Investigate Information security engagements and know what your objective is.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is a risk treatment plan formulated to identify the appropriate mgmt action, resources, responsibilities and priorities for managing information security risks?
– Does this review include assessing opportunities for improvement, need for changes to the ISMS, review of information security policy & objectives?
– Do we have an official information security architecture, based on our Risk Management analysis and information security strategy?
– Is the documented Information Security Mgmt System (ISMS) established, implemented, operated, monitored, reviewed, maintained and improved?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (CISO or equivalent title)?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– What is the main driver for information security expenditure?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Investigate Computer crime planning and research ways can we become the Computer crime company that would put us out of business.
– How important is Secure by design to the user organizations mission?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Study Antivirus software strategies and describe which business rules are needed as Antivirus software interface.
– Is Secure by design Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How can we improve Secure by design?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Shape Network security tactics and devise Network security key steps.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– What are the short and long-term Secure by design goals?
SQL injection Critical Criteria:
Consult on SQL injection projects and find the ideas you already have.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Secure by design processes?
– Are controls implemented on the server side to prevent sql injection and other bypassing of client side-input controls?
Operating system shell Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Operating system shell outcomes and work towards be a leading Operating system shell expert.
– what is the best design framework for Secure by design organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
C standard library Critical Criteria:
Use past C standard library tactics and explain and analyze the challenges of C standard library.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Secure by design project manager?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Multi-factor authentication risks and create a map for yourself.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Does Secure by design systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Does Secure by design analysis show the relationships among important Secure by design factors?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– Who needs to know about Secure by design ?
User identifier Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on User identifier tactics and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of User identifier.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Secure by design objectives?
– Are there Secure by design Models?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Gauge Denial of service goals and don’t overlook the obvious.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Reason over Computer access control goals and secure Computer access control creativity.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Secure by design been identified and analyzed?
Best coding practices Critical Criteria:
Discourse Best coding practices visions and overcome Best coding practices skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Secure by design values?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Secure by design?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Depict Computer virus governance and achieve a single Computer virus view and bringing data together.
– Consider your own Secure by design project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Secure by design activities?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Computer worm management and intervene in Computer worm processes and leadership.
– Is maximizing Secure by design protection the same as minimizing Secure by design loss?
– Why should we adopt a Secure by design framework?
Computer code Critical Criteria:
Recall Computer code strategies and look at it backwards.
– While it seems technically very likely that smart contracts can be programmed to execute the lifecycle events of a financial asset, and that those assets can be legally enshrined in computer code as a smart asset, how are they governed by law?
Multiple Independent Levels of Security Critical Criteria:
Study Multiple Independent Levels of Security issues and prioritize challenges of Multiple Independent Levels of Security.
– What is our formula for success in Secure by design ?
– How can skill-level changes improve Secure by design?
Cyber security standards Critical Criteria:
Jump start Cyber security standards strategies and probe the present value of growth of Cyber security standards.
– How do we maintain Secure by designs Integrity?
Software Security Assurance Critical Criteria:
Devise Software Security Assurance issues and perfect Software Security Assurance conflict management.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Secure by design effort?
– How is the value delivered by Secure by design being measured?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Derive from Security-focused operating system quality and pioneer acquisition of Security-focused operating system systems.
– How would one define Secure by design leadership?
Cryptographic hash function Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Cryptographic hash function tasks and maintain Cryptographic hash function for success.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Secure by design workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Secure by default Critical Criteria:
Explore Secure by default issues and change contexts.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Secure by design. How do we gain traction?
– How will you measure your Secure by design effectiveness?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Secure by design Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Secure by design External links:
Legolas Exchange, Fair and Secure By Design
Manning | Secure by Design
Holovision | Our Products | Secure by Design
Data-centric security External links:
DgSecure Data-Centric Security Platform | Dataguise
Data-centric security for Hadoop, SQL and Big Data
Undefined behavior External links:
Why are these constructs (using ++) undefined behavior in C?
Undefined Behavior – OWASP
Undefined behavior – cppreference.com
Computer security External links:
Best Computer Security | Security Software Companies| Softex
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Buffer overflow External links:
ORA-20000 ORU-10027 buffer overflow limit of 2000 bytes
Web server External links:
How to Make a Raspberry Pi Web Server | DIY Hacking
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Accessing the HP Embedded Web Server – HP Inc.
Principle of least privilege External links:
What is the principle of least privilege?
The Principle of Least Privilege Access in the Cloud – Xgility
Home directory External links:
Funeral Home Directory – Legacy.com
Veterans Home Directory – California
Security through obscurity External links:
What is “security through obscurity”
Screen scrape External links:
[PDF]Screen scrape pdf – WordPress.com
c# – How do you Screen Scrape? – Stack Overflow
Machine code External links:
What is “Machine Code” (aka “Machine Language”)?
G-codes Machine Code Reference | Tormach Inc. providers …
Machine Code: Big Data Lands GE on MIT Review’s Smart List
Malicious user External links:
Import This Malicious User-Agent String Feed | RSA Link
Dog food External links:
Dog Food Calculator | Dog Food Advisor
Dog Food Advisor – Official Site
Affordable Dog Food & Dog Treats | PEDIGREE
Security by design External links:
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Security By Design | Wire Works Business Systems : About Us
Security by Design – Detroit, MI – inc.com
Mobile security External links:
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Vipre Mobile Security
Mobile Protection, Enterprise Mobile Security – Skycure
Logic bomb External links:
What Is a Logic Bomb? Explanation & Prevention
‘Logic Bomb’ Dropped On Brokerage – CBS News
Logic Bomb | Definition of Logic Bomb by Merriam-Webster
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – WOW.com
Neeco Mobile Secure Gateway | Global Alliance Neeco
Mobile secure gateway Stock Photo Images. 36 Mobile …
Trojan horse External links:
Trojan horse | Story & Facts | Britannica.com
Software design External links:
Devbridge – Custom software design and development
Exygy | Software Design & Development Agency | B …
The Nerdery | Custom Software Design and Development
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Secure by design External links:
LMD Architects – Secure By Design
Holovision | Secure By Design
Manning | Secure by Design
Internet security External links:
CUJO AI Internet Security Firewall – Official Site
Trend Micro Internet Security provides advanced protection and privacy for your digital life. It blocks dangers websites, giving you freedom from viruses and
Center for Internet Security – Official Site
Application security External links:
Chrome Rewards – Application Security – Google
BLM Application Security System
Continuous Application Security Platform – CYBRIC
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS)
Intrusion prevention system
http://Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
Format string attack External links:
Format string attack – OWASP
Format String Attack – WhiteHat Security
Information security External links:
ALTA – Information Security
Title & Settlement Information Security
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Computer crime External links:
Computer crime legal definition of computer crime
IACP Computer Crime and Digital Evidence
Antivirus software External links:
Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows
Top 10 Best Antivirus Software – Compare Best Antivirus 2018
http://ad · www.top10bestantivirus.com/Best-Antivirus/Software
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Network security External links:
IANS – Institute for Applied Network Security
NIKSUN – Network Security and Performance
SQL injection External links:
CEHv9 MOD13 SQL Injection Flashcards | Quizlet
SQL Injection | US-CERT
SQL Injection – W3Schools
C standard library External links:
C Standard Library header files – cppreference.com
C Standard Library Reference Tutorial – tutorialspoint.com
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
User identifier External links:
User identifier – YouTube
User identifier | IT Security Concepts
Denial of service External links:
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
Cisco ASA Software SSL/TLS Denial of Service Vulnerability
Computer access control External links:
New Text Document.txt | Computer Access Control | Password
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Computer virus External links:
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
Computer Virus – ABC News
Computer worm External links:
What is computer worm? – Definition from WhatIs.com
A computer worm is a standalone malware computer program that replicates itself in order to spread to other computers. Often, it uses a computer network to spread itself, relying on security failures on the target computer to access it.
Computer worm | computer program | Britannica.com
Computer code External links:
How to Write Computer Code | Techwalla.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code – Publishers Weekly
Multiple Independent Levels of Security External links:
[PDF]MILS Multiple Independent Levels of Security – ACSA)
Multiple Independent Levels of Security
http://Multiple Independent Levels of Security/Safety (MILS) is a high-assurance security architecture based on the concepts of separation and controlled information flow; implemented by separation mechanisms that support both untrusted and trustworthy components; ensuring that the total security solution is non-bypassable, evaluatable, always invoked and tamperproof.
Cyber security standards External links:
Cyber security standards – ScienceDaily
Software Security Assurance External links:
Software Security Assurance – Bruce Jenkins – YouTube
Importance of Software Security Assurance | Oracle
Cryptographic hash function External links:
9-7.4 Cryptographic Hash Function – USPS
What Is a Cryptographic Hash Function? – Lifewire