What is involved in Information technology operations
Find out what the related areas are that Information technology operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Information technology operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Information technology operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Information technology operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Information technology operations related domains to cover and 160 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Information technology operations, Configuration management database, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Database administrator, Event monitoring, Help desk, IT asset management, IT governance, IT infrastructure, IT service management, Information technology, Infrastructure as Code, Issue tracking system, Maintenance, repair and operations, Network administrator, Network switch, On call shift, Operations management, Software build, Software deployment, Software development process, Software release life cycle, Software testing, System administrator, Technical support, Test automation:
Information technology operations Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Information technology operations goals and correct better engagement with Information technology operations results.
– Is maximizing Information technology operations protection the same as minimizing Information technology operations loss?
– How can we improve Information technology operations?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Grade Configuration management database engagements and integrate design thinking in Configuration management database innovation.
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– Application sizing is a technique used by capacity management. why is application sizing important?
– What would you like the cmdb to do for you -how would they like it to change your life?
– Are work control packages complete, ready for implementation, and attached?
– What elements are to be tracked and reported for baselines and changes?
– A network segment is a superset of a larger network. true or false?
– What types of status accounting reports are to be generated?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Where do we stand currently against the standards?
– How is mobile wimax different from fixed wimax?
– What are configuration items, baselines, etc. ?
– Why is sacm so hard to implement and organize?
– How frequently should cab/ec meetings be held?
– If yes, has the usq review been completed?
– Are all other required reviews complete?
– Does the change involve a usq?
– How does it relate to itil?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Debate over Continuous delivery engagements and give examples utilizing a core of simple Continuous delivery skills.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Information technology operations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– What are the long-term Information technology operations goals?
– Who needs to know about Information technology operations ?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Explore Continuous integration outcomes and find the ideas you already have.
– How is the value delivered by Information technology operations being measured?
– How can skill-level changes improve Information technology operations?
– How do we keep improving Information technology operations?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Talk about Database administrator leadership and balance specific methods for improving Database administrator results.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Information technology operations information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Does the Information technology operations task fit the clients priorities?
Event monitoring Critical Criteria:
Adapt Event monitoring governance and get out your magnifying glass.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Information technology operations is underway?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Information technology operations moving forward?
– Do you have log/event monitoring solutions in place today?
Help desk Critical Criteria:
Learn from Help desk planning and summarize a clear Help desk focus.
– In the case of a Information technology operations project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Information technology operations project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Information technology operations project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Information technology operations processes?
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Information technology operations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on IT asset management risks and improve IT asset management service perception.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Information technology operations?
– What processes do we have in place to harvest licenses from disposed hardware?
– Use of non-corporate assets on the network -byod devices and software allowed?
– If someone installs software, how do we keep track of it?
– What happens with your retired or disposed of assets?
– What assets benefit from the discipline of itam?
– Are we prepared to respond to a software audit?
– How are employees affected by the cm process?
– What would it cost to replace our technology?
– How should a value be assigned to it?
– What, though, is asset management?
– Do we know ho owns every asset?
– Why investigate other systems?
– Anything managed by it staff?
– Which assets need managing ?
– Why do it asset management?
– Who can initiate changes?
– What is an itam program?
– Should we manage?
IT governance Critical Criteria:
Audit IT governance planning and create IT governance explanations for all managers.
– Policy compliance is closely related to IT governance. Compliance has much to do with defining, controlling and governing security efforts. How should an organization respond to security events?
– How can you negotiate Information technology operations successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How will you know that the Information technology operations project has been successful?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– Why is Information technology operations important for you now?
IT infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Check IT infrastructure tasks and check on ways to get started with IT infrastructure.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– How do we maintain Information technology operationss Integrity?
– What threat is Information technology operations addressing?
– What is Effective Information technology operations?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Group IT service management risks and attract IT service management skills.
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a-vis your itsm initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your IT service management capabilities?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– How much time does it take to consolidate information into meaningful reports?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Is there a defined enterprise IT tool strategy and architecture model?
– What do enterprises really want from IT service management ITSM?
– Who is most likely to drive it Service Management organizations?
– How successful have you been to date with your itsm initiative?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– What software do I have and why do we have it?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Does anyone know the value of enterprise it?
– What is Service Management?
– Where does the data reside?
– Required Metrics Defined?
– How is it integrated?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Detail Information technology tactics and do something to it.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is there a Information technology operations Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Information technology operations objectives?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Infrastructure as Code tasks and report on setting up Infrastructure as Code without losing ground.
– What will drive Information technology operations change?
– How to Secure Information technology operations?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Merge Issue tracking system projects and improve Issue tracking system service perception.
– How do we manage Information technology operations Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Why are Information technology operations skills important?
Maintenance, repair and operations Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Maintenance, repair and operations results and describe which business rules are needed as Maintenance, repair and operations interface.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Information technology operations project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Information technology operations project lifecycle?
– How do we Improve Information technology operations service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is our Information technology operations Strategy?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Graph Network administrator issues and remodel and develop an effective Network administrator strategy.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– Can we add value to the current Information technology operations decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Information technology operations products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are the short and long-term Information technology operations goals?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
Discuss Network switch tactics and stake your claim.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Information technology operations strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Does Information technology operations systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Information technology operations project?
On call shift Critical Criteria:
Interpolate On call shift adoptions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive On call shift services.
– How will you measure your Information technology operations effectiveness?
– How do we Lead with Information technology operations in Mind?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Face Operations management outcomes and explain and analyze the challenges of Operations management.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Information technology operations leader?
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Information technology operations study?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
Software build Critical Criteria:
Dissect Software build projects and look in other fields.
– Does Information technology operations include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Information technology operations is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Information technology operations does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Software deployment adoptions and ask questions.
– What are current Information technology operations Paradigms?
– Is the scope of Information technology operations defined?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Software development process risks and tour deciding if Software development process progress is made.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Information technology operations project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Information technology operations project?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Own Software release life cycle outcomes and spearhead techniques for implementing Software release life cycle.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Information technology operations requirements in detail?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Depict Software testing risks and adopt an insight outlook.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Information technology operations? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Information technology operations with what users do day-to-day?
System administrator Critical Criteria:
Probe System administrator goals and proactively manage System administrator risks.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– Which customers cant participate in our Information technology operations domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Who is the System Administrator?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Unify Technical support results and define what do we need to start doing with Technical support.
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– Do we monitor the Information technology operations decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
Test automation Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Test automation risks and cater for concise Test automation education.
– What are the disruptive Information technology operations technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is a Information technology operations Team Work effort in place?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Information technology operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Configuration management database External links:
ITIL Configuration Management Database | CMDB …
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery – Visual Studio
Continuous Delivery – DevOn
Continuous Delivery & DevOps – How to Deliver ROI for 2017
http://Ad · www.bmc.com/Continuous/Delivery
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous Integration and Deployment for iOS | buddybuild
Continuous Integration – CI | CircleCI
Continuous Integration & Delivery for Mobile – Nevercode
Database administrator External links:
[PDF]CLASS TITLE: DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR – …
Database Administrator – jobs.sju.edu
[PDF]Title: Database Administrator – peoriaaz.gov
Event monitoring External links:
Historical Radiological Event Monitoring | RadNet | US EPA
ECG Scanning Cardiac Event Monitoring and Holter …
Help desk External links:
ND University System Help Desk | NDUS CTS
Help Desk – Helpdesk Software Login
IT asset management External links:
IT Asset Management & Electronics Recycling Solutions – ECS
IT Asset Management (ITAM) – Gartner IT Glossary
[PDF]IT Asset Management – U.S. Department of Veterans …
IT governance External links:
Process 1: Establish IT Governance – technet.microsoft.com
Home | IT Governance
IT Governance | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
IT infrastructure External links:
IBM IT Infrastructure – IT That Can Do It All – ibm.com
http://Ad · www.ibm.com/IT/Infrastructure
Chef – Automate IT Infrastructure | Chef
What is IT Infrastructure? – Definition from Techopedia
IT service management External links:
IT Service Management (ITSM) – BMC Software
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Student Email | Information Technology
Infrastructure as Code External links:
GitHub – coinbase/geoengineer: Infrastructure As Code
Issue tracking system External links:
Log in – MicroPact Issue Tracking System
issue tracking system – Wiktionary
Issue Navigator – FBS’s Issue Tracking System
Maintenance, repair and operations External links:
[PDF]THE MAINTENANCE, REPAIR AND OPERATIONS …
Network administrator External links:
Sr. Network Administrator Jobs – Monster.com
Network Administrator Salaries | PayScale
Network Administrator | CSRA
Network switch External links:
FlexFabric Data Center Network Switch Fabric Solution | …
Network Switch | URC
Amazon.com: NETGEAR GS105NA 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Lifetime Next Business Day Replacement | Sturdy Metal | Desktop | Plug-and-Play | …
Operations management External links:
Operations Management Software | Dude Solutions
Operations management (Book, 2012) [WorldCat.org]
Software build External links:
The term build may refer to the process by which source code is converted into a stand-alone form that can be run on a computer or to the form itself. One of the most important steps of a software build is the compilation process, where source code files are converted into executable code.
Software Build CCR Lists – roc.noaa.gov
Software deployment External links:
Software Deployment Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
http://Ad · www.manageengine.com/DesktopCentral
http://Ad · www.manageengine.com/DesktopCentral
Software development process External links:
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
What is the Software Development Process? – Computer Hope
[PDF]Evolution of Software Development Process Models
Software release life cycle External links:
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
7011FI-1.xRelease.pdf | Software Release Life Cycle | Bit
Software testing External links:
International Software Testing Qualifications Board – …
PractiTest: Software Testing & QA Test Management Tools
Exam 70-497: Software Testing with Visual Studio
System administrator External links:
Title System Administrator Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
System Administrator Jobs – Monster.com
System Administrator – Joink
Technical support External links:
QIES Technical Support Office – Welcome
ASISTS | Adult Student Information System & Technical Support
Kaspersky Lab Technical Support
Test automation External links:
Test Automation – Free 30-Day Trial – ranorex.com
http://Ad · www.ranorex.com/Test-Automation/Free-Trial
The broken promise of test automation – SD Times
Test Automation – AbeBooks